Soldiers' Barracks 1808, rebuilt 1824
The colonial struggle between Britain and France and her allies continued into the 1800s, although fighting was interrupted by short-lived treaties and peace settlements. British troops were still sent to garrison the far-flung outposts in the West Indies.
These barracks were built to hold 60 men. The two sets, built side by side, were damaged in the hurricane of 1817 and rebuilt in 1824. A kitchen between the two completed the complex.
To the left you can see the drainage along the base of the building and the water catchment and cistern.
A soldier's life in the Caribbean was not a comfortable one - unlike today's traveler, the military took a long time to adapt to local conditions! Eventually, however, the soldier's hot, unsuitable clothing was replaced by tropical wear; short red jackets and close-fitting "mosquito" trousers were issued instead of long coats and breeches.
Look for the 18th-century stone coursing, the archways, and the view of Signal Peak through the arches.