Historical Marker Series

Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West

Page 54 of 63 — Showing results 531 to 540 of 621
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1RU4_sutter-creek_Sutter-Creek-CA.html
On September 4, 1854 Sutter Creek was declared by Judge Marion Gordon an incorporated town. Sutter Creek's limits were one mile square. The center was "The Liberty Flag Pole", atop Main Street (Little Humbug Hill) where the Native Sons Hall stands today.Ded…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1RXE_mcnear-warehouse_Port-Costa-CA.html
This warehouse was built in 1886 by G.W. McNear, as the first fireproof building in Contra Costa County. It was built for the storage of wheat, hay and potatoes. From 1881 to 1882 one-hundred and three ships of wheat were loaded in Port Costa. It withstood …
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1RZO_nsgw-hall-eden-parlor-no-113_Hayward-CA.html
This is the former site of Eden Parlor No. 113 N.S.G.W. Hall 1890 to 1936
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1RZQ_gold-bug-stamp-mill_Auburn-CA.html
The Gold Bug stamp mill was built in the 1880s in the Tahoe National Forest. The Gold Bug Mine, one of many smaller hardrock mines located throughout the Mother Lode, was established to protect the ownership of the main quartz vein of the Eagle Bird Mine. T…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1S43_jacobys-storehouse_Arcata-CA.html
Originally built in 1857 by Augustus Jacoby, this building was constructed of locally quarried stone and brick. This was the first fire proof building in Humboldt County. Jacoby left Arcata in 1862 and mercantile firms continued to occupy the "fireproof sto…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1S6I_nut-tree_Vacaville-CA.html
Nut Tree began under a great black walnut tree as a ranch fruit stand on July 3, 1921. The founders, Edwin and Helen Power, pioneered highway merchandising and food service, creating a unique enterprise that symbolizes bountiful California. The Nut Tree Air…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1S83_john-and-abby-marsh_Brentwood-CA.html
Builders of the stone house 1856 Abby Marsh died August 1855 John Marsh first doctor in California arrived 1836 Born 1799, Murdered Sept. 24 1856
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1SED_the-heirloom_Ione-CA.html
Built circa 1863, this imposing residence with its classical columns, two-storied gallery, French window and fan transom, is an important local representative of the Greek Revival tradition in America. The house, constructed of locally fired brick, served a…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1SEE_quincy-iones-sister-city_Plymouth-CA.html
Quincy, located approximately 1 1/2 miles east of here off Mule Creek, was one of the cities within the boundaries of Rancho Arroyo, or the grant, that suddenly appeared in the early 1850's. Don Andreas Pico purchased the grant from Teodosio Yorba in 184…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1SEF_ione-high-school_Ione-CA.html
The first high school in Amador County was erected on this spot in 1903 by the Ione Academy, a private corporation. The original two-story frame structure, built at a cost of $2,287, housed the school until 1939. As a result of the steady growth in enrollme…
PAGE 54 OF 63