Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West
Page 57 of 63 — Showing results 561 to 570 of 621
In 1853, Timothy Murphy, Irish born pioneer of Marin County, gave 317 acres of land to Archbishop Alemany for educational purposes. Here the Sister of Charity in 1855 founded a school now called St. Vincent's School for Boys. It has been maintained and enla…
1881 - In This Garden - 1926
wrought with living plants to bring the world greater fertility, wealth and beauty developing new varieties which produced better fruits and more beautiful flowers.
The California Gold Rush of 1849 and San Francisco's Earthquake of 1906 spurred expansion, rebuilding and extensive timber processing in California.
Sturgeons Mill is a fine example of 1800's steam powered technology, providing lumber for early Californ…
This building was the home of the first Novato Post Office - February 2, 1856. Maintained by Novato Historical Guild.
This historic 1916 landmark, now the Sonoma Community Center, was the original home of the Sonoma Grammar School. It was purchased by Dr. Carroll Andrews and donated to the people of Sonoma in 1952.
The center is a non-profit run by a dedicated volunteer …
The home of "Lord" Charlie Snowden Fairfax, pioneer and political leader of the 1850's, served California as an assemblyman (1853), Speaker of the Assembly (1854), and Clerk of the State Supreme Court (1856). Fairfax, a descendent of Scottish barons of the …
Originally called Loustaunau Hall, erected in 1895, where many organizations held meetings and socials for nearly 100 years. Now hall of Novato Grove Druids No. 113
The Novato Bank (828 Grant Avenue) was built in 1913 by property owner, Frank Silva. The bank served ranchers, merchants, home builders, and the Novato area.
The adjoining section of the building (826 Grant Avenue)first served as a drugstore when initially…
This was the first school in the Rivera District, constructed in 1868, and previously located on Shugg Lane, now Slauson Avenue.
Whose deep concern for the conservation and improvement of our forests led him to establish the Eddy Tree Breeding Station on this site in 1925. His own effort and funds created this oldest forest genetics research institution in the Western Hemisphere. The…