Historical Marker Series

Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West

Page 61 of 63 — Showing results 601 to 610 of 621
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2DQ4_la-casa-primera_Pomona-CA.html
La Casa Primera. . The first adobe home of Ygnacio Palomares and wife Concepcion Lopez, the oldest house in the Pomona Valley, was built in 1837. It originally consisted of two rooms with a viga-latilla branch roof and packed mud floor. The Palomares family…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2E9I_mcgroarty-home_Los-Angeles-CA.html
McGroarty Home. . Honoring John Steven McGroarty, Poet Laureate of California, 1933-1944. Author of The Mission Play. var plainText = document.getElementById('inscription1').innerText; document.getElementById('inscription1').in…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2EK0_tulamniu-indian-site_-.html
Tulamniu Indian Site. . The old Yokuts village of Tulamniu was named Buena Vista by Spanish Commander Fages in 1772. (One of first place names in south San Joaquin Valley.) Fr. Zalvidea again recorded the site in 1806. This village was occupied for several …
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2EMX_the-discovery-of-santa-monica_-.html
The Discovery of Santa Monica. by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo. In commemoration of the 400th anniversary of the discovery of Santa Monica by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo on October 8, 1542, this tablet is erected and dedicated by the Historic Landmarks Committee, N…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2EO3_rancho-la-brea-adobe_-.html
Rancho La Brea Adobe. Gilmore Adobe. . Founded 1828 by Jose Antonio Rocha. . Completed 1880 by A.F. Gilmore. . Marked June 28, 1935. var plainText = document.getElementById('inscription1').innerText; document.getElementB…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2EQT_the-southern-pacific-rr-roundhouse_-.html
The Southern Pacific RR Roundhouse. . This property was the site for two locomotive roundhouses constructed by the Southern Pacific Railroad. The first stood between 1911 and 1925, when the June 25, 1929, earthquake severely damaged it. Miss Pearl Chase, of…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2F08_old-santa-susana-stage-road_-.html
Old Santa Susana Stage Road. 'Devil's Slide'. . Old Santa Susana Stage Road, 1859-90. Marked March 17 1939, Native Daughters of the Golden West, Topango Parlor 269. var plainText = document.getElementById('inscription1').innerText; …
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2HSY_plummer-park_-.html
Plummer Park. —. . Part of lands occupied by Señora Francisca Perez under preemption law as early as 1869. . Surveyed in 1871 as public lands. . Deeded by Señora Perez to Eugene R. Plummer in 1877. . U.S. patent issued 1880. . Purchased…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2HT3_moorish-fountain-and-indian-community-laundry_-.html
Moorish Fountain and Indian Community Laundry. —. Built in 1808 En beneficio de la humanidad by the Franciscan Padres . var plainText = document.getElementById('inscription1').innerText; document.getElementById('insc…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2HXA_the-vance-hotel_-.html
The Vance Hotel. —. The Hotel Vance was built in 1872 by Eureka pioneer & lumberman, John Vance. It was the area's grandest hotel & the first building in Eureka with electricity. It was originally designed & built in the "Modern Italianate style"…