Historical Marker Series

George Washington Slept Here

Page 6 of 17 — Showing results 51 to 60 of 170
The Robert Steward House was built between 1740 and 1770 by Robert Stewart (d.1776), planter and militia captain; it was acquired in 1787 by Daniel Tucker (d. 1797), prominent Georgetown merchant. When President George Washington arrived in Georgetown durin…
President George Washington on his southern tour traveled southward over this road, April 27-30, 1791. While in this vicinity the day and night of April 29, he was the guest of Captain William Alston on this plantation, Clifton, which was originally a part …
1732 - 1932Stopped at an inn located on this site when passing through Hanover during his presidency. In commemoration of which event this tablet has been erected and dedicated by the Bicentennial Committee of Hanover Pennsylvania in Honour of his birth.Ou…
This tablet marks the site of The Great Meadows where Lt. Col. George Washington fought his first battle and made his first and last surrender, July 3-4, 1754.
This spring lies in the direct path of what was known as Nemacolin's Trail. Afterwards Braddock's Road, and was a favorite sampling spot in early days.George Washington visited here first in November, 1753, and again in May, 1954. On the night of June 26, 1…
519 acres owned 1794-1799 by the First President Thomas Sprigg, Jr., patented in 1725 as "Woodstock" 1,102 acres here, inherited in 1782 by Sprigg's three granddaughters, Sophia, Rebecca, and Elizabeth. Sophia married John Francis Mercer (later Governor …
For six months this quiet path was a congested thoroughfare. Express riders from Congress, civilians requesting passes, guards posted around the house, couriers rushing out with new orders, foreign officers seeking employment, continually jammed this road d…
During his Southern tour of 1791, President George Washington attended services at the original Christ Church on Sunday, May 15. While in Savannah from May 12-15, Washington lodged at a house on the corner of Barnard and State streets on St. James (now Telf…
Site of Col. Jacob Arnold's Tavern. It was used as Washington's Headquarters January - May, 1777. Troops were in Lowantica Valley.
One mile from here lived Gen. Wm. Smallwood, commander of the Maryland troops which saved Washington's Army at Long Island. Governor of Maryland from 1785 to 1788. Washington visited here in 1786.
PAGE 6 OF 17