Historical Marker Series

E Clampus Vitus

Page 3 of 139 — Showing results 21 to 30 of 1385
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1DI_old-log-jail_Markleeville-CA.html
In 1875, the Alpine County seat was moved from Silver Mountain (Kongsberg) to Markleeville. A new jail being needed, a foundation was laid using logs. The iron cells from the old jail were placed thereon and using the mortise and tenon method the rest of th…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1KX_forbes-flour-mill_Los-Gatos-CA.html
This is all that remains of the four-story stone flour mill built in 1854 by James Alexander Forbes. The town that grew around this building was first called Forbes Mill, then Forbestown, and finally Los Gatos.
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1KY_union-cemetery_Redwood-City-CA.html
Union Cemetery's name reflects the controversy that erupted in the Civil War, three years after the cemetery's beginnings in 1859. Pro- and anti- slavery feelings ran high in California, and the founders of the cemetery strongly opposed the secessionist sen…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM20Z_county-court-house-nye-county_Tonopah-NV.html
Built in 1905 at a cost of $27,965.00 by Continental Construction Company. Site selected by commission April 1 and donated by Jim Butler's Tonopah Mining Company. On Tuesday, February 7, 1905 Governor Sparks signed the bill to remove the county seat of Nye …
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2AY_yanks-station_South-Lake-Tahoe-CA.html
This was the site of the most eastern remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express in California. Established as a trading post in 1851 by Martin Smith, it became a popular hostelry and stage-stop operated by Ephraim "Yank" Clement on the Placervill…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3CF_fremonts-fort_Mariposa-CA.html
General John C. Fremont, 1813-1890. A noted military man, explorer, topographer, senator & businessman, Fremont was also a miner. He settled in Mariposa County living just outside Bear Valley. He operated the Josephine, Pine Tree & Princeton mines and ot…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3GV_bagby_Mariposa-CA.html
From a vista point near the 1,156 long, 130 foot high bridge, completed in 1966, the site of Bagby lies east under, and sometimes exposed beside, the back waters of Lake McClure. Bagby's history passed through three definite development eras. From 1850 to 1…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3KG_sportsmans-hall_Camino-CA.html
This was the site of Sportsman's Hall, also known as Twelve-Mile House. The hotel operated in the late 1850's and 1860's by John and James Blair, a stopping place for stages and teams of the comstock. It became a relay station of the Central Overland Pony E…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3M0_legend-of-deadman_Mammoth-Lakes-CA.html
In 1861 the burned and headless body of Robert Hume, a prospector, was found in a shallow grave not far from this site. Later, the head was located in a nearby stream (now known as Deadman Creek). Hume was last seen alive with his partner, Farnsworth, searc…
historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3P8_san-francis-ranch_Bishop-CA.html
In 1861, Samuel A. Bishop, his wife and party left Fort Tejon for the Owens Valley driving 650 head of stock. On August 22, Bishop reached a creek later named for him and southwest of this spot, established San Francis Ranch. There a peace treaty was signed…
PAGE 3 OF 139