New Jersey: Morris County Heritage Commission
Page 2 of 7 — Showing results 11 to 20 of 68
Logan's grist mill supplied food to Washington's troops during Jockey Hollow encampment. John Ralston, early industrialist, occupied the manor house 1786-1819, and operated the general store, subsequently a post office 1892-1941.
Lebbeus Dod, Captain of the Morris County Militia during the Revolution; also renowned craftsman noted for his clocks and mathematical instruments.
Farmhouse home of Ebenezer Byram, one of Mendham's founding fathers. In 1742 opened as tavern to travelers. In continuous operation as hostelry over two hundred years.
Pre-Revolutionary center section of building was home of Cornelius Ludlow, Colonel in Eastern Battalion of Morris County Militia, and later Morris County judge.
William Gibbons, prominent racing patron, built stable to house his thoroughbred racehorses, including Fashion, "Queen of the American Turf". Barn is an outstanding example of an early 19th century horse barn.
Founded 1739. George Washington and Continental Army encamped here, 1777, and 1779-1780. Major iron-producing center in the nation during the 19th century.
This planned industrial village, constructed when the railroad was built, included small factories, workers housing, stores, churches, and a school. Silk manufacturing drew skilled immigrants here from Europe and the Middle East.
Original gristmill circa 1788. Owned by Elias Howell. Present gristmill built 1826 by Nathan Cooper. Only surviving structure of the industrial community, Milltown,
Federal style structure built for Zephaniah Drake as stage coach stop. Purchased 1854 by William Rankin who added two wings, and converted inn to Chester Institute.
In this area, Peter Hasenclever built iron works for the "American Company." Operation of furnace and three forges later managed by John-Jacob Faesch and Robert Erskine.