New Jersey: Morris County Heritage Commission
Page 6 of 7 — Showing results 51 to 60 of 68
World famous center for training dogs to lead blind persons. Founded in 1929 by Dorothy Harrison Eustis as first dog guide school an United States. Present headquarters built 1965.
Built on site of original 1813 "Brick School". Educated 30-40 children yearly until 1913. Served as a Sunday School 1875-1937. In continuous use as a community meeting place since 1851.
Water power and natural resources made this a busy industrial village from the early 18th century through 1900. Visible today are waterways that powered sawmills, grist mills, wagon shops, a glass factory, and cottage industries.
Original Greek Revival dwelling built for commercial use 1849. Purchased for residence 1856 by James Holmes, prominent Boonton citizen. Building enlarged and converted to Holmes Library 1893.
National Register of Historic Places · New Jersey Regi…
Created in 1846 as the Morris Canal's Stanhope Reservoir. This lake supplied water that filled the canal and powered local industries. Mules treading an earthen causeway across the lake pulled boats loaded with coal, iron ore, or freight along a channel in …
Built by Giles Mandeville forhis bride, Sarah Roome. Laterserved as Pompton Plains'first post office. Since 1953manse of First Reformed Church
Congregation organized 1736 as Reformed Netherlands DutchChurch. Original church built 1771. Restored in 1937 after fire destroyed all but walls.Notable for Christopher Wrensteeple.
Built during Morristown's GildedAge for General Edward Meany,New Jersey Advocate General,1893, and a Director of AmericanTelephone and Telegraph Company.Architecture reflects EnglishMedieval Castle influence.
Home of Silas Condict, colonialpatriot, and subsequently homeof General Joseph Cutler andhis son, Augustus, congressmanand father of the Free SchoolSystem. Morris County Heritage CommissionNew Jersey Register of Historic PlacesNational Register of Historic …
Oldest house in Morristown onits original site. Home of apatriot, artisan, governmentofficial and PresbyterianElder. Morris County Heritage CommissionNew Jersey Register of Historic PlacesNational Register of Historic Places