The community of Chantilly, Virginia was named after the Chantilly mansion built by Charles and Cornelia Calvert Stuart on this site about 1817. The name "Chantilly" originated in France with the Ch?teau de Chantilly, just north of Paris. Cornelia's grandfather, Richard Henry Lee, a statesman and signer of the Declaration of Independence, had previously named his 1763 Westmoreland County plantation "Chantilly." The stone house, possibly an old tavern built about 1823, is all that remains of the Chantilly farm. Chantilly, Virginia and Chantilly, France share a friendly relationship in light of their common name.