Piedmont College is an accredited, independent, coeducational, liberal arts college, open to all regardless of race, sex, or creed. Founded under auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the College was chartered September 6, 1897 by Habersham County as the J.S. Green Collegiate Institute, and renamed J.S. Green College in 1899. The founder and first president, Charles C. Spence, Congregational Christian Church, the church of the pilgrims, assumed sponsorship and in 1903 changed the name to Piedmont College. Since that year, the college has maintained a close relationship with Congregational churches across the nation.
Piedmont has made significant contributions to education on a regional state, and national level. Graduates of the college have gone on to serve as teachers at all levels throughout the state, superintendents of many Georgia School systems, stat3 Superintendent of Schools during the initial integration of public school, presidents of five major universities, an state and national senators and representatives whose interest and work centered on education.