The U.S. Navy developed Lexington Park to house the civilian workers who streamed into the area following the establishment of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station. Named for the storied carrier Lexington, it was the first planned community in St. Mary's County. Unlike any houses built here earlier, the concrete and brick duplexes with their slanted roofs and tall banks of windows were decidedly modern looking. The northern portion of the development, completed in 1943, was designed by the nationally recognized firm Kahn and Jacobs. Washington, DC architect Louis Justement designed the houses in the southern portion, which were completed in 1944 along with a small commercial and community center. This remaining house is a rare survivor of innovative civilian housing constructed during the World War II era. This panel was funded by our Partners for Preservation:
Logos of: Navmar Applied Sciences Corporation and St. Mary's County Maryland, 1637
Nicknamed the "Flat Tops," this single survivor from the original mid-1940s Lexington Manor developed features the side addition added to many of these homes during the 1960s.
Photo courtesy: St. Mary's County Government
Navmar Applied Science Corporation;
The St. Mary's County Board of County Commissioners;
And the Friends of the St. Clement's Island and Piney Point Museums