— National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark —This pump, designed by Edwin Reynolds (1831-1909) and built by the Edward P. Allis Company, is the major component of one of the earliest water-pollution control systems. It was capable of pumping more than a half billion gallons of water a day, the highest-capacity pump in the world when installed. It still is used during the summer to pump water from Lake Michigan into the Milwaukee River upstream of the downtown area. This maintains a current in the lower portion of the river and greatly reduces the concentration of pollutants.
|Placed By||The American Society of Mechanical Engineers|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 6:30am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 427780 N 4767143|
|Decimal Degrees||43.05355000, -87.88680000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 3.213', W 87° 53.208'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 3' 12.78" N, 87° 53' 12.48" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||414, 262|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1701 N Lincoln Memorial Dr, Milwaukee WI 53202, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.