Hanscom Park, Omaha's oldest remaining park, was designed by landscape architect H.W.S. Cleveland in 1889. Early improvements were described in the 1898 Park Commissioner's Report: "Two lakes, a cascade, extensive flower beds, two and one-half miles of macadamized roadway, fountains and a magnificent growth of forest trees make this the only finished park in the city." It was "the most beautiful of our parks located in the center of the most fashionable and highest-priced residential property."
The lagoon has always been a major site for strolling, fishing and ice skating. The pavilion shown in these photographs was located near the site of the outdoor tennis courts. It burned in 1927 and was replaced the next year with the existing pavilion.
Fishing along the eastern shore, July 10, 1924.
A summer afternoon, looking east toward Park Avenue, August 16, 1912.
Ice skating, circa 1915.