On this site, in 1954, Lucy Laney Elementary School was opened with the mission of educating black children in the Waverly Hall, Shiloh, Ellerslie, and surrounding areas. The school was named in honor of Lucy Craft Laney, a famous black educator, from Augusta, GA. Mr. Edward F. Robinson served as the first principal of the school. Grades 1 through 8 were taught there until the integration of area public schools in 1970. After integration, the name was changed to Waverly Hall Elementary. The school closed in 1989 and the building was razed in 2004.
Original Superintendent — Zade Kenimer
Original Principal — Edward F. Robinson
William A. Long
Reverend George P. McKinney
Theodore C. Bowen
Louie Otis Meadows, Jr.