[100th Anniversary Medallion]
On June 8, 1887, a group of Florida pharmacists met in Jacksonville at the Board of Trade rooms located at the corner of Adams & Main Streets for the purpose of organizing a state pharmaceutical association. At this first meeting of the Florida State Pharmaceutical Association, Dr. Henry (Hy) Robinson, a civic leader in Jacksonville who served as mayor and chairman of the Board of County Commissioners, was elected as the first president. Although the minutes of this first meeting were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1901, reconstruction of newspaper accounts chronicled the pharmacists' major concerns. With an initial membership totaling 111 and $81.30 in the treasury, this description of one of the Association's benefits was given: "It elevates pharmacy as a profession, brightens the pathway of the pharmacist, encourages him to greater effort, and consequently benefits the entire public whose servant he must be." The Florida Pharmacy Association, today over 3,000 strong, remains true to that purpose and dedicates this monument to past and future pharmacists of Florida who have and will continue to contribute so much to the health care of Florida.
Dedicated on this, the 26th day of June, 1987