Owned by Patrick Hickey, the first Hickey Building was a collection of wooden structures that served as the M.M. Fuller law office, the printshop for the Ellis Headlight newspaper, Ramsey's Barber Shop and the A.J. Cromb Candy & Notions store. During the 1890's, the original wood structure burned and was replaced with a two-story limestone building.
In 1904 the building continued to house doctors and dentists along with a gambling den and pool hall, reputed to attract gamblers who sought to separate the town's workmen from their money. In addition, it became home to a general store, roller rink, fraternal lodges, sleeping quarters, private clubs, the VFW Hall, and a dance hall.
Eventually, the building's checkered history would come to an end when considerable damage from the 1957 flood resulted in the State Fire Marshal condemning it. To add insult to injury, prior to the building's demolition, it was damaged further by fire on Thanksgiving Day in 1962.
In April of 1963 the Hickey building was torn down and the site has remained vacant since.