The community of Alexandria was founded approximately two miles west of today's floodwall murals, in an area known as Carey's Run. It was settled in the late 1700's by pioneers who came down the Ohio River in flat boats. The original settlers had hopes the village would become a very influential city, seeing potential in economic opportunities. The town became the county seat of Scioto County in 1803 after Ohio became a state. Because of frequent, devastating floods in the area, the village was unable to survive and by 1814 most inhabitants had moved to higher ground in Portsmouth.
Court Street Gateway
Shown in the mural is a cyclist from an annual event held in Portsmouth. The Tour of the Scioto River Valley (TOSRV) is held in Tracy Park on Mother's Day Weekend. The event includes a bicycle ride that originates in Columbus, Ohio where cyclists take the 86 mile ride to Portsmouth and head back to Columbus the following morning. For more information about TOSRV, go to www.tosvr.org
This mural is temporary, as river front development plans call for this section of the wall to be removed. It was painted to appear as the scene of Kentucky one would see if and when the panel is actually removed.
Alexandria Flood/Stone House
The only house remaining from the Alexandria era is the Phillip Moore, Jr. Stone House, shown in the last panel during a raging storm. The original deed to the property states it was located on an outlot of Alexandria. It stands today on Route 239 in West Portsmouth, and has been restored to its original appearance. The Stone House is known as "The Cradle of Methodism" because the frontier "circuit riders" formulated plans for the church's future while gathering around the home's massive hearth. The house is furnished with period pieces and is available for touring by appointment only. Contact the Visitors Bureau at 740-353-1116 for further information.
Platting of Portsmouth, 1803
The City of Portsmouth, Ohio was not officially founded until 1815, but the original purchase of land and the platting of the city by Henry Massie occurred in 1803. Henry laid out 258 lots, which were sold for $50 each, while the land outside the plat sold for $10 an acre. The mural represents a free-hand sketch of Henry Massie at a surveyor's desk drawing the original plat of Portsmouth. Many of the original streets carry the same names today. In December of 1814, the Ohio State Legislature passed a statue incorporating Portsmouth as a town. This statue became effective on March 1, 1815.