A bowery was built near here in August 1904 for the celebration of the long-awaited arrival of water to the Hurricane Bench and to name this new town. After twelve years of back-breaking work, the Virgin River water, carried seven miles from the diversion dam upstream, was now ready to flow onto the parched ground of this valley.
Originally, shade was provided by chaparral, cottonwood limbs, and juniper boughs, which formed the roof of the bowery. Several wagon loads of future Hurricane City residents from nearby towns came to witness and participate in this historic event.
Except for the corner cedar posts, this bowery, built in the year 2000, is made of modern materials. It has been constructed to honor the pioneers who built the original bowery and gathered here with their families to celebrate the fruits of their labor. This bowery and plaque are monuments to their faith, dedication, and tenacity. May we remember their hard work and sacrifice that prepared this beautiful valley to become what it is today.