Utah Historic SiteTo satisfy an urgent need for manufactured iron products, a small group of English, Welch, Scotch, Irish and American pioneers answered a call from Brigham Young to become "Iron Missionaries" to settle Iron County and to make iron. They arrived in Parowan on January 13, 1851 and produced the first iron west of the Mississippi on September 30, 1852 on this site. Due to economic, social, environmental and technical problems the Iron Works was closed down in October 1858.
|Placed By||Division of State History|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 8:23am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12S E 318359 N 4172799|
|Decimal Degrees||37.68443333, -113.05995000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 41.066', W 113° 3.597'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 41' 3.96" N, 113° 3' 35.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 386 N 100 E, Cedar City UT 84721, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.