A regimental band was located where there were regimental headquarters. The 18th U.S. Infantry band is pictured here. The band's quarters, located between the blockhouse and post trader's store, consisted of two buildings. One was the barracks and the other was a combination mess hall and practice room. When no regimental band was assigned to the fort, the building served, among other things, as the library and chapel.
The Fifth Cavalry Band have returned from their eastern trip. They created quite a sensation; and the general verdict was, that never had such music been heard before. The citizens of Lawrence, Topeka and Leavenworth were enraptured with their playing, and have engaged them for some forthcoming festivities.
- Hays Sentinel, February 1876