This park was completed in 1902, and was considered one of Ohio's three best amusement parks and was adjacent to the Steel Mill in New Boston. Streetcars delivered passengers to the park, where there was a roller coaster, carousel, pavilion, boating, ball field, and a casino that hosted concerts. Millbrook Lake and lagoons enclosed the park on three sides. Visitor could row a boat, take a gondola ride, or walk its many paths. In winter, ice skating was popular.
The demise of the park began with the flood of 1913 and ended when the steel mill bought the remaining property in 1937.
The Shoe Industry, 1866-1976
The manufacture of shoes, once a thriving industry in Portsmouth, passed from the local scene with the closing of Williams Manufacturing in 1976. This mural shows several of the shoe factories including Selby, Irving Drew, Excelsior, and Williams. Also depicted are Vulcan Corporation, which made shoe lasts; Patterson Paper Box Company, whose products were essential to the manufacture and distribution of shoes. Mitchellace, the world's largest manufacturer of shoelaces is shown in the mural entitled "Modern Industry."
Early 1900's Streetcar
Electric streetcars were first introduced in 1892 when the City of Portsmouth purchased streetcars and laid the first tracks. A year later the city sold the cars and lines to Portsmouth Street Railroad and Light Company. The first line included Second Street to Chillicothe Street, then north to Ninth, to Eleventh, on to Gallia, and then to New Boston. This mural features an early streetcar with motormen, facing east, after the car turned the corner at 9th and Chillicothe Streets. Note the three motormen in their blue uniforms. The streetcars ceased operation in 1938.
At the far right stands the Civil War Memorial statue in Tracy Park.
Government Square, 1919
This square was the hub of the business and financial district in Portsmouth at the end of World War I. Prominent buildings in the mural include the former U.S. Post Office Building, The Kricker Building and the National Bank Building. The esplanade in the central portion of the picture is surrounded by vintage automobiles.
Also, entrances to two public underground restrooms are visible. Most of the buildings on the north side of Gallia Street remain today.