823 MainThis corner marks the spot where in 1869 Colonel E. C. Manning placed the stake from which the City of Winfield was laid out. The first building in Winfield, Colonel Winfield's old log store, stood on this corner. In 1885, Henry Goldsmith acquired the property where it remained a book store for a period of 32 years. In 1917 the State Bank purchased the lot and built the first 25 by 70 feet of this building. The expansions of the State Bank in 1927 and 1989 have resulted in the current building.
|Placed By||Winfield Main Street & Cowley County Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 5:48pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 677633 N 4123424|
|Decimal Degrees||37.24043333, -96.99736667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 14.426', W 96° 59.842'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 14' 25.56" N, 96° 59' 50.52" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 883-899 Main St, Winfield KS 67156, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.