The market green played an important role in the growth and development of Halifax. The town's original plan called for the green to take up both sides of King Street. In time, however, the courthouse, jail, and other public buildings occupied the west side of the street.
The green was a bustling center of activity in the town, especially when the court was in session and at harvest time. Farmers brought their produce from the countryside to sell at the market house, which stood opposite the colonial courthouse and jail. County fairs and other festive events, such as Independence Day celebrations, took place here.
The green was also important for the military. During the Revolution, a barracks was located there, along with a powder magazine, supply depot, and armament factory. The square was also used as a parade ground for military reviews.
The shady market green also provided an area for rest and relaxation, conservation and debate. It continued to be used as a public facility until the courthouse moved in 1848. Shortly afterwards, the lots became private property.