The first meeting of Baptists in El Paso was held on August 26, 1882, at the home of Maj. and Mrs. W.F. Fewel, under the leadership of the Rev. George Baines, Jr. One week later he directed the formation of this congregation, which was chartered with 22 members. The first sanctuary, constructed in 1885 at Magoffin and San Antonio, served until 1906 when new facilities were occupied at Magoffin and Virginia. In 1922 First Baptist merged with Central Baptist Church and moved to this location. Through its missions, First Baptist Church has started 12 other churches in El Paso and Juarez.