Although the original land grant went to Johnson Hunter in 1824 and the Point was owned by Nicholas Clopper from 1826 until 1835, it was James Morgan who gave the Point its name.
Morgan purchased 1600 acres from Nicholas Clopper in December of 1835 and began to lay out his proposed town of New Washington. He built his own home on the site that Clopper had named Orange Grove.
Although General Santa Anna burned the plantation on the day before the Battle of San Jacinto, it was immediately rebuilt. The town of New Washington never prospered, but James Morgan's plantation became a popular stopping place for travelers. Among those stopping as Morgan's home during their travels were the German naturalist Ferdinand Roemer, the Prince of Salms, famous wildlife artist James Audubon and wealthy English yachting enthusiasts Mr. and Mrs. Houstoun. Other frequent visitors were neighbors Sam Houston, David Burnet and Ashbel Smith.
James Morgan was influential in the early days of the Republic of Texas, was in charge of the defense of Galveston during the revolution and was involved in the sale of the Texas Navy after the war.
Morgan died March 1, 1866 and is buried with his family in the old Orange Grove Cemetery now used by the city of Morgan's Point.