This body of water was created in 1816, when a grist mill was established on Clear Brook Branchat this location by Nathaniel Ross. Known byvarious names, most notebly those of two earlyowners, William Cannon and William Ross, themill was destroyed by fire in 1879. The Cannonand Ross Mill became known as Hearn's Mill whenMarcellus Hearn bought the property in 1885. TheCorn Stone from the original mill was saved fromthe fire and installed in the new mill which waserected in its place. Hearn later installed rollersfor grinding grain to replace the traditionalwheel turned stones, making the mill more efficient for flour production. George H. Hearnand Mary Rawlins, Marcellus' son and daughter,took over the mill following his death in 1916.Hearn and Rollins Flour Mill continued in the possession of the family members until 1999, when itwas purchased by the United Nation of Islam. Themill structure was added to the National Registerof Historic Places in 1978. Hearn's Pond is nowthe property of the State of Delaware.