When the railroad came through this area in 1882, the settlement of Osborne was established here near natural springs. The community's name changed to Murphysville in 1883, and at that time, as the population began to grow, missionaries arrived from numerous denominations. Included among them was the noted Rev. George W. Baines. In 1883, he held what was reportedly the first Protestant meeting in the community, which became known as Alpine in 1888.
Ten years after Baines' meeting, the First Baptist Church of Alpine was officially organized on April 14, 1893. It called its first pastor, the Rev. D.B. Rose, in 1894. That same year, the church affiliated with the Sweetwater Association, and the congregation met in various locations until purchasing this site and dedicating its first sanctuary, an adobe structure, here in 1896. The congregation by that time had a Women's Missionary Union and held regular Bible and Sunday School classes. Membership increased, and next to its sanctuary in 1910, the congregation added a parsonage.
The church grew, with nearly two hundred members enrolled in Sunday School and youth and service groups. In 1915, it began work on a larger sanctuary, in use by 1917. Architect James E. Greene's design included ample sanctuary seating, as well as Sunday School rooms, a baptistery, a Ladies Aid parlor and a pastor's study.
The congregation added facilities and expanded its programs to meet the needs of the community, including the Sul Ross Teachers College, which opened in 1920. With no local public library, members established a borrowing library. Other programs included children's and youth programs, Boy Scout sponsorship, mission work in Alpine and in Mexico, and activities at Sul Ross State University. Participating in Baptist work locally and internationally, First Baptist Church continues to lead its local and regional communities through its many programs, services and dedicated members.