New Germany State Park
— Friends of New Germany —Long before 1930, thirteen acres of low-lying land in the village of New Germany was flooded and dammed. An earthen dam was constructed, largely through the efforts of John Swauger, to hold back the waters of Poplar Lick Run for the operation of his nearby mill. A crudely-built lake was formed for the sole purpose of providing waterpower and making ice. Known as Swauger's Dam, the lake was not used for swimming or recreation at this time. In fact, parents forbid their children to play there.
In the early 1930's President Roosevelt's Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) drained Swaugers's Dam, cleared out the many logs that were on the bottom, and built a new earthen breast works for the dam. Improvements also included a spillway. Fishing then became a prime use of the lake, which was plentifully stocked. Swimming was also possible now that the lake was refilled.
After the CCC left the area, the lake became part of the New Germany Recreation Area. By 1951 the lake boasted a 5-foot by 30-foot beach. Since that time, many improvements have been added. Today, surrounded by forests and picnic areas, the beach is a popular swimming and fishing spot. Changes and improvements continue to be made to New Germany Lake, enhancing and preserving it for the enjoyment of those who visit.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, October 22nd, 2014 at 2:40pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 661157 N 4388676|
|Decimal Degrees||39.63270000, -79.12210000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 37.962', W 79° 7.326'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 37' 57.72" N, 79° 7' 19.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||301, 240|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1-31 McAndrews Hill Rd, Grantsville MD 21536, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.