Site of First Ward County Courthouse
A three-story red sandstone courthouse with a domed cupola was constructed here in 1893, one year after Barstow was elected first Ward County seat. The first elected officials to serve in the courthouse were R.D. Gage, Co. Judge; S.D. McWhorter, Co. & Dist. Clerk; W.M. Ware, Sheriff & Tax Collector; John W. Phillips, Co. Attorney; S.H. Parker, Tax Assessor; J.B. Carson, Surveyor; J.J. Walker, Treas.; Pat Wheat, Comm. No. 1; W.C. Carson, Comm. No. 2; Pat Duracke, Comm. No. 3; and A.D. Irvin, Comm. No. 4. The landmark was razed soon after the county seat moved to Monahans in 1938. All that remains is a cornerstone.