Underground Railroad StationAt their grist mill on nearby Rock Creek, James McAllister and his family provided temporary shelter to hundreds of fugitive slaves. Now in ruin, it was part of one of the earliest UGRR networks through which freedom seekers passed on their way north. It was the site of a significant gathering of abolitionists on July 4, 1836, that led to the formation of the Adams County Anti-Slavery Society, an early and influential abolitionist organization.
|Placed By||Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 3:34pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 310239 N 4408714|
|Decimal Degrees||39.80725000, -77.21675000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 48.435', W 77° 13.005'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 48' 26.10" N, 77° 13' 0.30" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1401-1543 Baltimore Pike, Gettysburg PA 17325, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.