??The camp was named in honor of Col. James Walker Fannin, who was killed at the Battle of Goliad in the Texas Revolution. It opened in March, 1943, the first cadre from Camp Robinson, Arkansas arrived in March 1943 and the first trainees arrived in May 1943. An estimated 150,000 men were trained for combat through December 1945. At the end of World War II, it served as a Separation Center and was deactivated in June 1946. April 2004
???Encompassing over 150,000 acres of land, the main post was located immediately north and west of this site on 2,000 acres of land purchased from local landowners. An additional 13,000 acres was leased from area landowners and returned to them at the end of the war.
???On April 17, 1948, the U.S. Government deeded 600 acres of land to the State of Texas on which the 1,000 bed station Hospital was located, for the express purpose of opening a tuberculosis sanatorium. The land is now occupied by the University of Texas Health Center at Tyler. The placement of the Veterans Memorial on this site is most appropriate, as the hospital is the last remaining major installation of the camp.
???The memorial is a permanent and visible remembrance in honor of all veterans from five branches of service that were active during World War II. It is dedicated to all trainees of Camp Fannin and especially those who gave their lives in defense of our freedom.
???Camp Fannin Association and The University of Texas Health Center at Tyler appreciate the support of all those who have helped make this memorial a reality.
The Camp Fannin Association Ladies Auxiliary