Michigan Legal MilestoneStanding on this site since Andrew Jackson was president of the United States, the building where the White Pigeon Land Office conducted business from 1831 to 1834 is one of the historic treasures of Michigan. From this building, title to much of the land in southwest Michigan was conveyed, made available for settlement by the 1821 Treaty of Chicago with the Pottawatomis and other tribes. Before it closed in 1834, the White Pigeon Land Office conveyed title to nearly 260,000 acres of land in southwest Michigan, including the land where Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and Battle Creek now stand.
|Placed By||State Bar of Michigan and St. Joseph County Bar Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 5:49pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 612664 N 4628235|
|Decimal Degrees||41.79798333, -85.64390000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 47.879', W 85° 38.634'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 47' 52.74" N, 85° 38' 38.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 167-199 S Washington St, White Pigeon MI 49099, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.