Francis Preston Blair brought his family to Washington from Kentucky at the invitation of President Andrew Jackson to publish a newspaper supporting his administration. Between 1842 and 1854, the Blair family built three summer homes in Silver Spring. This structure initially served as a summer home for Francis Preston Blair's son, James, a Naval Officer, who made his fortune during the 1848 Gold Rush in California. James and Mary Blair, named their home the Moorings, a nautical reference. During the Civil War, Soldiers camped at the Moorings. The last Blair to own the house, Violet Blair Janin, Daughter of James, designated the house for public use in her will and changed the name to Jesup Blair in honor of her brother. From 1934 to 1957, the house served the community as the Silver Spring Public Library.