This structure,built around 1808, was home to the Colvin family for several generations. In 1874 it served temporarily as the Hebrew Orphan Asylum, whose original building had burned. The Presbyterian Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital opened here in 1877 and remained for more than a century, gradually acquiring adjoining properties. The building's facade dates from 1884, when the hospital was renovated and enlarged. A rear wing was added in 1898.
The 65-bed hospital served "all poor persons regardless of color or creed." In the early 1900's, more that 20 percent of patients were Russian Jews from the surrounding neighborhood and around 10 percent were African Americans. Eye cases constituted two-thirds of the total caseload, while ear and throat cases made up the remainder. The building was modernized in 1952, and an elevator installed.
In 1965 the hospital merged with the Hospital for the Women of Maryland to form the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. GBMC built a new hospital in Towson the following year, but continued to operate an outpatient clinic here for many years. In 2005 the Helping Up Mission remodeled the building for its corporate offices., graduate transitional housing, education and job training.