— Georgetown —The Old Stone House, part of the Landmark District of Georgetown, is the only surviving pre-Revolutionary building in the capital. The house stands on its original site, lot #3, one of eighty lots surveyed in the port of Georgetown in 1751.
Christopher Layman, a carpenter, is believed to have begun construction of the house in 1764. In 1766 Layman's widow, Rachael, had the front portion of the house completed. The National Park Service acquired the building during the Sesquicentennial of Washington under an act of Congress approved September 25, 1950.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 1:31am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 321340 N 4308285|
|Decimal Degrees||38.90530000, -77.06040000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 54.318', W 77° 3.624'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 54' 19.08" N, 77° 3' 37.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3057 M St NW, Washington DC 20007, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.