(1712-1796)This pioneer settler of Rostraver Township, Westmoreland County, arrived in Philadelphia from Rotterdam aboard the ship Mortonhouse in 1729. He and his wife Mary lived for a time near Hagerstown, Maryland and after the Braddock and Forbes expeditions of 1755 and 1758, they established a tomahawk claim to 400 acres of land at the mouth of the Youghiogheny River, later recognized by Pennsylvania. He served as a Ranger during the Pontiac Indian War of 1763 and at his death in 1796 was buried in the Weddell Cemetery overlooking the Youghiogheny River.
|Placed By||Daughters of the American Colonists - David McKee Chapter|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 12:27pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 600608 N 4454875|
|Decimal Degrees||40.23828333, -79.81725000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 14.297', W 79° 49.035'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 14' 17.82" N, 79° 49' 2.10" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||412, 724|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 601-629 Pearis Rd, Elizabeth PA 15037, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.