ca. 1892The L. B. Brown House was built in 1892, during the period of Bartow's initial development. It is a good example of Frame Vernacular construction typical of that period. This house is decorated with intricate mill work and gingerbread. The house has nine rooms. The Brown house was built by Lawrence Bernard Brown (1856-1941) who was born into slavery, in Wacahoota, outside of Archer. He moved to Deland around 1882 where he built a number of houses. Lawrence moved to Bartow during the 1880s and built a large number of dwellings, one of which was the L. B. Brown House. Lawrence and AnnieBelle (1882-1938) Brown raised seven children here. Lawrence and his wife are buried in the Evergreen Cemetery in Bartow. The house is now owned by the Neighborhood Improvement Corporation of Bartow, Inc. Restoration was completed in 2001 with the cooperation of the city of Bartow, citizens of Bartow, and the Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources.
|Placed By||Neighborhood Improvement Corporation of Bartow and the Florida Department of State|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 1st, 2014 at 3:11am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 417882 N 3085708|
|Decimal Degrees||27.89371667, -81.83435000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 27° 53.623', W 81° 50.061'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||27° 53' 37.38" N, 81° 50' 3.66" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 400-498 S 2nd Ave, Bartow FL 33830, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.