This is the site of Camp Butler, a
Confederate "camp of instruction"
that operated from the spring to
the fall of 1861, in what was then
Barnwell District. New companies,
organized as independent companies,
or in state regiments, were sent
here for training and organization
into Confederate regiments before
being transferred wherever the
(Reverse side text)
This camp was described in a letter
to The Edgefield Advertiser as
"the admiration of every visitor ....
every thing in every direction is
kept in the nicest order." Companies
of the 2nd S.C. Artillery, 7th S.C.
Infantry, and 14th S.C. Infantry,
as well as the Chesterfield Light
Artillery, trained and camped here
from April to October 1861 before
service in S.C., Va., and N.C.