This mill is listed on the Sate and National Registers of Historic Places as a contributing property in the German Valley Historic District.
Built circa 1750, and owned by Phillip Weise, the mill was essential to the economy and development of German Valley and the surrounding agricultural community. For much of its history, it was the most successful business in the village, grinding grain and producing flour and animal feed. A saw mill was located behind the grist mill during the 1800's.
Originally powered by two water wheels, the mill was converted to turbine power by owner Obadiah LaTourette in the 1870's. The milling operation continued until the early 1940's. Most of the machinery remains, reflecting the history of milling over 200 years.
In 1991, The Washington Township Land Trust purchased the building and embarked upon its restoration with the aid of volunteers, grants and generous donations.