To the Glory of God and in Memory of
James Thomas, Jr.This Bell Tower is the gift of Mrs. Laura Thomas Rutherfordwho has presented this memorial to her father, as a tribute to his love for and loyalty to the First Baptist Church, of which he was for many years a faithful friend and active member. The bell was formerly in the steeple of the old church at 12th and Broad Streets. On Sunday, April 6th, 1862, by resolution unanimously adopted by the church membership, it was offered to the Confederate Government to be moulded into cannon, if so needed. To save the bell, through arrangement made with the Confederate Secretary of War, Mr. Thomas gave for it a stated sum in gold coin, and through the years it has rung, as it rings today."Peace on Earth - Good Will to Men"