Abraham Hall: A Historic African American Benevolent Lodge

Abraham Hall: A Historic African American Benevolent Lodge (HM196O)

Location: Beltsville, MD 20705 Prince George's County
Buy Maryland State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 39° 3.552', W 76° 52.398'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 793 views
Inscription
Abraham Hall was built in 1889 as a lodge for the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham. Chartered in 1877, this fraternal organization provided emergency financial assistance and death benefits to its members: a form of insurance not otherwise available to African Americans. Abraham Hall has been used for various functions over the years including as meeting place, landmark, and touchstone of the African American community of Rossville. The African American community's namesake, Augustus Ross, was one of its first settlers. He purchased one of 12 parcels of land previously belonging to wealthy landowner Mark Duvall. The Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham purchased the largest (3.85 acres) of the twelve parcels.

The Lodge became the largest and most substantial building in Rossville. After Queens Chapel burned down in the 1890s, church services were held in Abraham Hall until 1901, when the church completed work on a new chapel. The Lodge was also used as a schoolhouse in the years before the construction of Muirkirk School in 1922.

As the first Black historic site in Prince George's County to be restored with public funds, Abraham Hall marks a significant milestone in the historic preservation efforts of Prince George's County, Maryland. Abraham Hall is owned and operated by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.

[Illustrations:]

Charter of the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham, Rebecca Lodge #5, 1877. Courtesy of the Benevolent Sons and Daughter of Abraham

Rossville Plat, 1886. Map of the original plot that comprised Rossville. A 25 acre parcel of land from Mark Duvall's estate was divided into 12 lots. Many of the lots were purchased by African Americans employed at the Muirkirk Ironworks. The original landowners in Rossville were Augustus Ross, Charles Briggs, Mary E. Williams and Elias Williams, William Briggs, Thomas Mathews, Jonathan Carter, William Talbert, M.J. Williams, William Dixon, Knotley Johnson, Agnes Taylor. The plot where Abraham Hall stands is plot #9. Courtesy of the Maryland State Archives

Abraham Hall was built in 1889 by members of the Rebecca Lodge of the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham. It was one of the most prominent buildings in Rossville, a community largely inhabited by African American employees of the Muirkirk Ironworks and their families.

Badge from Naomi's Household of Ruth, women's auxiliary of the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, which held meetings at Abraham Hall. Courtesy of Edna Ross

Badge from the Rebecca Lodge #6 of the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham. Courtesy of Edna Ross

In 1864 slave statistics for the State of Maryland, Prince George's County, Augustus Ross was 18 years of age and listed as a slave to Walter W. W. Bowie. Courtesy of the Maryland State Archives

Students attend school at Abraham Hall, circa 1918. Courtesy Albert Thomas

Photo of Muirkirk School students circa 1925. The Muirkirk School replaced the Freedman's Bureau School operated by Charles Coffin when it opened in 1922. It was built with the financial assistance of the Rosenwald Fund, a fund created to help communities build schools for African American children. Muirkirk iron worker William William Toliver was among the Rossville residents who served on the school's building committee. Courtesy of Philip Gibson

Portrait of Israel Crump, Civil War veteran and Rossville resident, circa 1920. Courtesy of Marsha Brown

Grand United Order of Odd Fellows' annual meeting at Abraham Hall, circa 1940. The Odd Fellows, like other lodges in the Muirkirk area frequently met at Abraham Hall. Courtesy of the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of AbrahamNaomi's Household of Ruth, the Women's Auxiliary of the Grand Order of Odd Fellows, at their annual meeting at Abraham Hall, circa 1940. Courtesy of the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham
Details
HM NumberHM196O
Series This marker is part of the Rosenwald Schools series
Tags
Year Placed2008
Placed ByDepartment of Parks and Recreation, Prince George's County
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 at 4:18pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18S E 337916 N 4325016
Decimal Degrees39.05920000, -76.87330000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 39° 3.552', W 76° 52.398'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds39° 3' 33.12" N, 76° 52' 23.88" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)301, 202, 410
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 7612 Old Muirkirk Rd, Beltsville MD 20705, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What historical period does the marker represent?
  2. What historical place does the marker represent?
  3. What type of marker is it?
  4. What class is the marker?
  5. What style is the marker?
  6. Does the marker have a number?
  7. This marker needs at least one picture.
  8. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  9. Is the marker in the median?