Maryland's oldest working mill and one of its oldest commerical buildingsThe building on which this information is posted is a replica of a typical Colonial-era "corn crib." It was built as an Eagle Scout project in 2012 by Scott Bell. It includes material reclaimed from a Colonial-era corn crib located on Kent Island, and is representative of what may have been used here at the Wye Mill. The granite blocks on which it rests are thought to be ballast from a 17th or 18th sailing vessel. The wide boards on the ends of the crib are typical of the work done by 18th and 19th century water-powered saw mills such as the one that was in operation on this site from the late 1700's until 1875.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 5:47pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 406294 N 4310859|
|Decimal Degrees||38.94166667, -76.08125000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 56.5', W 76° 4.875'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 56' 30.00" N, 76° 4' 52.50" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||443, 410|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 900 Wye Mills Rd, Wye Mills MD 21679, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.