This historic marker recognizes Howard Academy Elementary/Junior High School, which eventually became Howard Academy High School. In 1957, the first phase of Howard Academy Elementary and Junior High School was constructed on Second Street. The school operated as an elementary and junior high school until 1959-60, when the facility was expanded to accommodate Black students in Grades 1-12. The establishment of this school resulted in the closure of many of the two-and three-room schools in rural areas. In addition, children had better and safer accommodations, including a spacious library; work areas for specialty classes, such as home economics and choral music—facilities that were not available at the school on Chestnut Street. The new school also had a gymnasium and football field. The combining of grades did not impact the school's administration since Eddie L. Simpkins and George W. Pittman continued in their roles as principal and assistant principal, respectively. When the district implemented its desegregation plan in the 1970-71 academic year, the Howard Academy High School site became the district's only middle school-Howard Middle School.