This post office was established in 1843. Nov. 29, 1861, Gen. Ben McCulloch moved his army into winter quarters here. Numerous, large, two-room, plank barracks were built in two rows facing each other, extending eastward more than a mile. Ten or twelve thousand soldiers wintered here.
Feb. 22, 1862, the Union army of Gen. Curtis entered Cross Hollows to find abandoned barracks and commissary stores still smouldering. Curtis pitched his tent near McGarrah's house. His soldiers tented east, and south to Mud Town. March 4, Curtis moved the army into battle line north of Little Sugar Creek.