In 1843 the Reverends Mason Knappen and Ova Hoyt organized the Cooper Congregational Church with families from New York and Vermont. Church founders included Laura Blanchard, John and Betsy Borden, Mace, Nancy and John Borden, Matilda Delano, David Deming, Eliza Earl, Lydia Hart, Fidelia Pratt, William and Susan Lyman and Almon and Phoebe Monroe. These members first worshipped in a log schoolhouse at Cooper Centre. The present church was erected in 1856.
This church was built in 1856 with money raised from the sale of family church pews—a popular fund-raising method used in New England and New York. Ephraim Delano, George Delano, George Hart, A.R. Allen, A.W. Ingerson, Allen Chappell and John Walker built the church on land donated by Barney and Eliza Earl. The cornice returns, triangular pediments and square louvred belfry, containing a bell cast by Meneely & Kimberly of Troy, New York, reflect the church's Greek Revival styling.