(obverse)"Praise Be To God From Whom All Blessings Flow."
Allen Temple A.M.E. Church
In 1879, under the pastorate of Reverend George Wesley Allen, the Allen Temple African Methodist Episcopal Church had its humble beginning in Phenix City, Alabama as Grant Mission. The Russell County Housing Authority's renewal project of 1940 caused the relocation of the congregation. Under the administration of Reverend E.W. Cook, in 1941, the new church was built and renamed Allen Temple A.M.E. Church. The Church has continued to serve the needs of its congregation and community under the leadership of its present pastor, Reverend Samuel Thomas.
Grant Chapel A.M.E. Church
Church services at Grant Mission, forerunner of Allen Temple A.M.E., were orginally held in a small framed house along the Central of Georgia Railroad on South Railroad Street. Both Grant and St. Peter Missions were organized by G. W. Allen in 1879. St. Peter's Church, built in 1881, was destroyed by a storm resulting in its merger with Grant Chapel in 1908. The merged membership elected to retain the Grant Chapel A.M.E. designation. In 1919 Grant Chapel A.M.E. was remodeled under the pastorate of Reverend M.J. Jackson.