Live, Work , Play, Dine & Shop
— Silver Spring Heritage Colesville Road —The commercial Vitality of this block sprang to life in the late 1930s. Across the street, where homes with front porches once stood, the 1938 construction of the Silver Spring Shopping Center served as the "Magnet" attracting future development. The theatre, designed by John Eberson (1875-1954) closed in 1984. The Art Deco Society of Washington waged a 20-year battle to preserve it and the shopping center. Success was realized with the Silver's 2003 reopening as the American Film Institute.
|Placed By||Silver Spring Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 3:07pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 324447 N 4318463|
|Decimal Degrees||38.99758333, -77.02720000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 59.855', W 77° 1.632'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 59' 51.30" N, 77° 1' 37.92" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||240, 301, 202|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 8668 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring MD 20910, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.