In 1945 a new segregated elementary school was built for Arlington's African American population in the Green Valley, now Nauck, neighborhood. It was the only Arlington school to be built in the Art Moderne architectural style. Originally called the Kemper Annex, it was renamed in 1952 to honor Dr. Charles R. Drew, a local resident and eminent physician. After receiving his medical degree (McGill University, 1933), Dr. Drew became the first African American to earn a Doctor of Science in Medicine (Ph.D.) degree (Columbia University, 1940). He was internationally recognized as a pioneer in the field of blood plasma research.
With the end of segregation practices in 1971, the school became the Drew Model School, a countywide magnet school. In 2000 the school was demolished to make way for a new school building, also to be named in honor of Dr. Drew.