(side 1)(Continued on other side)(side 2)
Settlement of this area began in the early 1800s. Gabriel Butler settled approximately two miles northwest of her on Bluewater Creek. His name is found on the 1810 petition for removal of white settlers leasing land on Chief Doublehead's Reserve. Gabriel Butler built a Baptist Church on his property which is believed to be the first church in the area. Other early landowners were John Bradford, Daniel White, Walter West, Robert Jackson, Aristides Jackson, Benjamin Ingram, George Ingram, and Moses Ingram. Huntsville Road (Highway 72) and Bellevue Road (Highway101) was an important intersection Huntsville Road was a major route from Chattanooga through Florence to Memphis. Bellevue Road led from a natural port on the Tennessee River called Dutch Landing, north to the Military Road near Loretto, Tennessee. Both roads brought much-needed supplies to the early settlers of Elgin and provided routes for them to sell and trade their farm goods. This community has been known as Ingrams Crossroads, Crittendens Crossroads, Crossroads, Elgin Crossroads, and Elgin. The first post office, named Marmion, was established in 1836 and renamed Ingrams Crossroads in 1949. The Ingram home was located just north of this intersection.
(Continued from other side)Benjamin, George, and Moses Ingram are listed on the 1850 census as merchants. During the Civil War, Ingrams Crossroads served as a recruiting station for the Confederate States of America. Men enlisted into the 27th Alabama Infantry. 7th Alabama Cavalry 9th Alabama Cavalry, and the 14th Alabama Infantry. Ingrams Crossroads Post Office was abandoned in 1868. The community was then referred to as Crittendens Crossroads until 1901 when a post office was re-established and given the name Elgin Post Office. Although this post office closed in 1905, the name Elgin has remained. The first Crossroads School was located here. It was a one-room structure built in the late 1800s. In 1917, a three-room school was built about 300 yards south of here on land given by F.E. Jackson to J.H. Belew. In 1939, four additional adjoining acres were donated by E.M. Jackson. In 1942, the Works Progress Administration renamed Elgin Elementary School. The school closed in 1985. Today thanks to the Elgin Senior Citizens, the lunchroom and auditorium have been preserved.