The small village of Coffeetown, located to the southeast of what is now Langston, was established in the 1810s. Coffeetown faded away in 1869 when most of its residents moved to Texas. It was then that James Morgan sold 15 acres in town lots and the town of Langston was born. The town was named for Langston Coffee, the first postmaster. When river transportation thrived in the 1800s and early 1900, Langston prospered. Langston once had five physicians, a livery stable, stores, jail, school, Masonic lodge, movie theater, several churches, a post office, blacksmith shop, grist mill, and a steam operated cotton gin. The TVA project which built the Guntersville Dam in 1938 flooded this once prosperous town. It forced those who lived within the TVA boundaries to move. This left the skeleton of what was once a thriving town.